We’re an online platform offering curated homeware & lifestyle from independent designers across Africa and other countries in the Global Majority. Our carefully selected brands work closely with skilled artisans, with a focus on sustainable manufacturing processes and the preservation of traditional craftsmanship. Ethics, transparency and sustainability form the basis of our business model. You can read more about our story and what we do here.
We are different in two main ways: storytelling and unique due diligence capabilities. We seek to promote our brands stories and values, representing them fully and shining a light on the makers. Transparency is at the core of what we do. We conduct robust vetting of all our brands to ensure workers are paid fairly, the conditions are safe and there is a positive impact on both the community and the environment.
Read more about our due diligence process and how we work with our brands here.
We work with talented designers and artisans who deserve to be paid fairly for the beautiful work they produce. We provide these designers with access to international markets through our online platform and allow them to connect with a growing network of like-minded businesses. Approx. 75% of profits of each sale is returned to the brand and their artisans, whilst the other 25% is reinvested into the company so we can market and continue to work with more designers.
A social impact business has social and economic targets at the core of its commercial activities. We measure our impact across all our brands and countries of operation, and support brands who also undertake philanthropic projects in their local communities.
You can read more about our impact and goals in our annual impact report here. If there’s anything we’ve missed or that you’d like to know more about, please do not hesitate to get in touch as firstname.lastname@example.org.
AKOJO MARKET grew from a love of the culture, craft and heritage across sub-Saharan Africa.At the start of 2022, we expanded our reach beyond the African continent to include countries from across the global majority. We now source from 17 countries across Africa, as well as the Middle East, Central and South America and Asia.
We strive to ensure that our designers continue to receive aprox. 75% of profits throughout the year. For this reason, we rely on our designers to choose if and when they hold a sale. At certain occasions in the year, we may choose to put on a cross-brand sale. When this happens, we will incur the cost so that our designer’s do not take the hit.
We host regular pop ups both in the UK and further afield. These are a great chance to come see our products in person and meet the team! Sign up to our newsletter or follow us @akojomarket to stay in the loop about upcoming pop ups and events.
Many of our products are made on a small-batch basis and so may go “out of stock” from time to time. If you see something you like that is out of stock, simply add your email to the waitlist and we will message you to let you know when it will be back in stock. Your patience in waiting for products helps to reduce excess production and waste.
You can find out more about the brands and the artisans they work with in our Designers page. You can also read our “Designer Spotlight” and “Meet the Maker” features in our community blog.
Most of our items are made by hand meaning that naturally, variations will occur. These differences are not defects, but rather what makes them special. No two items will ever be the same, making your purchase truly unique.
We love hearing from new designers! Head to our "Sell With Us" page to see how we can work together.
Care + Cleaning
All of our products are crafted using natural materials that require special care. Looking after and cleaning your purchases correctly will ensure they stay in a good condition and can be passed on from one generation to the next.
Please refer to the Care section of each product page for cleaning guides. Care will vary from product to product depending on how they are made and the material used.
All our products are made to a very high standard by skilled artisans. However, if a fault should occur over time from love and use, we urge you to repair the product to extend its life. If you are unable to repair the product yourself, there are lots of fantastic external service and apps that can help you out.
If you are unable to find the answer you were looking for, speak to a member of our team here.